ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ann Tlusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:13:54 -0400
When a similar conversation took place on this list a couple years ago, but
restricted (I think) to alcohol history, I suggested Wolfgang
Schivelbusch's Tastes of Paradise: A Social History of Spices, Stimulants,
and Intoxicants, which I still use in my alcohol survey (called "Alcohol
and Civilization").  The book covers spices, alcohol, coffee and chocolate,
tobacco, and opium in the manner of a "grand theory."  There is much to
criticize, which is often the case with a grand theory -- it needs to be
balanced with other, more sobering texts -- but that's also part of the
fun.  It's provocative, and a pleasant read for undergrads, with lots of
illustrations, and available in paperback.
   I haven't taught my alcohol course for three years, but when I teach
this course again (next year) I will look at Rod's Short History of Wine --
(and when can we hope for the book from NC to appear?)
- Ann Tlusty