ADHS Archives

September 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:53:20 +1000
Dear Gretchen

This is a subset of the larger issue of how to find out about the cutlrula and
social history of the "inarticulate", especially working classes. For the
temperance question, most work looking at mass movements has dealt with cases
that cross class lines, and include both working-class and middle-class people.
A key case of this in American history, where artisans and factory workers
joined in temperance societies in the 1840s, but these were not usually
exclusively working-class societies, because the working-class was in a process
of formation froom preindusrtrial conditions.  In addition to what Robin and
others have stated,  My book Sobering Up discuses this; see also Ruth M.
Alexander, "'We Are Engaged as a Band of Sisters': Class and Domesticity in the
Washingtonian Temperance Movement, 1840-1850," Journal of American History 75
(December 1988), 763-785

Regards,

Ian Tyrrell