ADHS Archives

August 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jan Tore Evensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 19:14:49 +0200
Hi!

Summer is soon over, and that means that i probably will be more in fornt of
my PC. I`m not sure whether that is good or bad, though :). Anyway - i
thought i would introduce myself. My name is Jan Tore Evensen, and from my
e-mail-address you can see that i`m sitting in Norway. The reason for my
interest in this list may be a bit different than many of you other. I`m not
a historian, even though i have studied it for a year. Now i am studying
political science at the university in Oslo.
The reason for my interest is that i am a member of a temperance
organization, IOGT, here in Norway. And naturally i am most interested in
the history of this organisation. I`ve read some of the books that are
written, but most of the norwegian/scandinavian books i have found are from
the beginning of this century. It would therefore be interesting to hear
about newer work.
But also the cultural aspects of alcohol use is very interesting, i think.
It`s a issue which occupies many people in the temperance-movement in Norway
at the moment. For many years there has been much focus and reports on the
consequences of drinking, much "quantitative research" so to speak. But now
more people are looking at the reason why people are drinking from a
sociological or antrophology (sp?) point of wiev. And also in the same
street - ways to create alternative non-drinking environments.

I guess that`s it for now. Sorry for any misspelling :).

Jan Tore
--
Not a .sig here, but i`m not the only one.