ADHS Archives

June 2009

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrea Kovalesky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:27:49 -0700
This has been a topic of interest to me, so I have a small collection

The website of the North Conway Institute, now housed at the archives of the
Episcopal church in Austin Texas is very helpful;
http://www.episcopalarchives.org/nci_accession.html
 I've been meaning to do some archival work there for years and still haven't
gotten there!

The Journal of Ministry in Addiction and Recovery by the Haworth Pastoral
Press, even though very sporadic and may not even exist anymore, might hold
some historical articles of interest.

Some books:

No laughing matter by Father Joseph C. Martin, 1982
Ministering to Alcoholics by John E. Keller, 1966 - Augsburg Publishing
Stairways to Heaven:  drugs in American Religious History by Robert C. Fuller
(includes wine), as does his book Religion and Wine
Alcohol & substance Abuse - a handbook for clergy and congregations, 1985 by
Stephen P. Apthorp
Alcohol and the church:  developing an effective ministry by Margaret A.
Fuad, 1992
Drinking with Calvin and Luther:  a history of alcohol in the church, by jim
west,2003

There's also more recent denominational books on alcohol, such as for
Judaism, Islam, LDS, etc., that give some glimpses into their histories in
the 60s and 70s and 80s.

Hope this helps!

Andrea Kovalesky, PhD, RN
Associate Professor, Nursing and CUSP Programs,
University of Washington Bothell
425-352-5367