ADHS Archives

February 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:39:33 +0100
Ann --
    I look forward to your book.
    The iron triangle that modern British-tradition criminal courts keep wrestling with is the following:
        1. you have to have a "guilty mind" to have committed a crime (most crimes).  This included the idea that you have to have intended an act something like what you actually did.
        2.  intoxication affects intention and the capacity to have a "guilty mind": can a person who's very very drunk really be said to have the requisite intention and a guilty mind?.
        3. drunkenness should not be an excuse for crime.  3(a) modern feminist corolllary: nor should there be a "discount for drunkenness", where you get punished, but less, if you are drunk.
    (1) came into the British-style criminal law quite early, I am told, from medieval church courts.   (3) dates back a long way.  I don't know how (1) and (3) were reconciled before the 19th century.  I'm not sure how far back the focus on "intention" goes.   (2) becomes an issue in the 19th century, mostly around capital cases, when judges start getting squeamish about condemning someone to death for something that happened when they were very drunk.   So they invent the (unworkable) distinction between "specific intent" crimes and "general intent" crimes.
    The iron triangle was reconciled for a long time in the British-style tradition by shifting the evidence of the guilkty mind back to the fact that the person chose to take the first drink.  But the idea that taking a drink at all was a guilty act obviously could only arise in the context of temperance-era thinking.  It is this reconciliation that courts in Australia, New Zealand and Canada have rebelled against, though the general population seems to be horrified by the result, that drunkenness could excuse a violent crime.
    So I'm particularly interested in your sentence, "drunkenness rarely functioned as an excuse under diminished capacity, either".  Did German law then have no requirement of a guilty mind?  Or was drunkenness not seen as affecting the capacity to have a guilty mind?  Or was the law determined backwards (as later in the British tradition) by the overriding concern that drunkenness not be available as an excuse?
    A more general question, out of ignorance: what does it mean to talk of "German law" when Germany is a collection of princely states, archbishoprics, free cities, and whatever?  Was there some common core of criminal law, and where did it come from? Did a precedent in one jurisdiction affect what happened in another?  Robin