ADHS Archives

May 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RON ROIZEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 12:44:25 EDT
Dear ATHG-L:

It is with some trepidation that I'm re-posting to you the
following SEVEN PART series of longish posts I posted to
another listserv group--called ADDICT-L--some weeks ago.
ADDICT-L is a group of scholars, researchers, and also lay
therapists involved in addiction treatment.  As it
happens, a discussion arose in that list regarding
sociology, Stanton Peele, and the disease concept of
alcoholism--and I, being the only "card-carrying
sociologist" on the list, took the occasion to "defend the
flag" and offer my own sense of sociology's unfolding
historical relation to the disease concept of alcoholism
in the U.S.  This morning--in the process of sorting some
old files--it occurred to me that some ATHG-L members
might find this series mildly interesting.  Others, I
fear, will glare at me for silting up their in-boxes--and
to you, my humble apologies.  The seven-part series
doesn't really end--it just stops (indeed, PART VIII is,
in fact, "still in the typewriter").  In any event--& with
all its incompleteness, warts, and other deficiencies--
here comes that series of seven posts FYI!

Ron Roizen