ADHS Archives

April 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Harry Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:56:41 -0000
I have a question with which I hope someone on the list may be able to give
me some assistance.  Does anyone know of a compilation of reservation liquor
laws, indicating which reserves have authorized liquor sales (and, just
maybe, when)?  As I recall, thanks in part to the BIA's desire to get shut
of trying to enforce Indian prohibition and also in part to action by
Arizona senator Barry Goldwater,  the tribes were given "reservation option"
in 1953; has anyone kept track of what has happened since then?  My interest
is primarily in the natives of the Southwest but am also curious as to the
nation-wide patterns.  My "friendly neighborhood GovDocs librarian" has
drawn a blank so far; any assistance, advice or discussion would be
gratefully received.

With thanks,

H. David Ware

P.O. Box 3433