ADHS Archives

December 2010

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Courtwright, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:40:13 -0500
In Forces of Habit I described the provision of extra alcohol rations for German troops and their adjuncts involved in both regular military and "special" actions, such as participation in mass executions (pp. 143-144). I have since come across several references to similar uses of alcohol in the Holocaust literature, e.g., in Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men. I do not recall, however, any cases of the Germans distributing alcohol in amounts or circumstances that would be likely to foment rebellion. I would also stress, with Frederick Smith, that the use of alcohol as an incentive for work (particularly for difficult, unpleasant, and/or morally compromised work) has a long and extensive history. Comparatively speaking, I don't see anything unusual in the Germans' "incentivizing" behavior.

David T. Courtwright
Presidential Professor
Department of History
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32224-2645 USA

email: [log in to unmask]; office phone: 904 620-1872;
office fax 904 620-1018; home phone 904 745-0530