ADHS Archives

June 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrew Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 02:42:42 -0400
For early-nineteenth-century attitudes, including the belief that the rise
of the temperance movement had led to an increase in the number of people
dying from drinking cold water in hot weather, see pp. 37-9 and 207-8 of my
"Drink: a social history of America" (Carroll and Graf, New York, March
1999). A lot of people, I suspect, attributed to the temperature of the
water deaths that had actually been caused by pathogenic bacteria.