ADHS Archives

February 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
harold rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 20:56:12 -0500

> Date:    Sat, 24 Feb 1996 12:47:25 -0500
> From:    Michael Davids <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Alcoholics Anonymous
>
>           In regards to A.A., does anyone have any info on the
>           group *Rational Recovery* which is far more liberal
>           and less religious than A.A.        Thanx, MD:)
>
> ------------------------------

        There is a "movement" called Rational Recovery which is promoted
by its founder, Jack Trimpey, as an alternative to AA.  Although the
outcome goal for participants is the same (i.e., abstinence), and the
importance of group support is retained, the proposed steps to recovery
are different.  Trimpey uses an RET (Rational Emotive Therapy, based on
Albert Ellis's work) approach vs. the your-life-is-unmanageable approach
and higher-power approach proposed by AA.  Trimpey has written a book, The
Small Book, Delacorte Press, 1989, that explains his approach.  His book
is not well-written (for example, it is often redundant and boring and
there is no obvious reason why this approach endorses abstinence a priori);
however, the approach using RET is clearly different than AA.  One may
also write to Trimpey at Rational Recovery Systems, Lotus Press, Box 800,
Lotus, CA.  95651 for more information.

        I hope this is helpful in your search for more info. on RR.

 Harold Rosenberg ([log in to unmask])
 Professor and Director, Training Clinic
 Psychology Department
 Bowling Green State University