ADHS Archives

March 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Roman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:02:41 -0800
I appreciate Robin's kind words.  There are several sources for the little study that he mentions, any one of which may be hard to locate.  First is a chapter by Trice and Belasco in a book edited by George Maddox called THE DOMESTICATED DRUG.  Second is a discussion of this in the second chapter of the book by Trice and myself, SPIRITS AND DEMONS AT WORK, first published in 1972 and reissued in 1978.  Finally, a fairly good summary piece is a chapter which I wrote for a book by Clifton Bryant entitled DEVIANT BEHAVIOR: OCCUPATIONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL BASES.

Over my own career, I've had several different perspectives on this issue.  First is the exploitation-by-subordinates argument that appears in the above citations.  Second is the empirical finding from surveys of executives of very low rates of abstinence and very typical patterns of routine consumption of modest amounts of alcohol.... high frequency, low volume.

In the mid-80s I became intrigued by the implications of Selden Bacon's relatively uncited theory of social pampering.  I used this and some empirical work by social psychologists to develop a theory of "social stardom" and its risks, based in part on an unexpected in-depth interview I was able to have with the former movie star, Eddie Fisher. These ideas were partially developed in two places, one a conferences proceedings out of Eagleville Hospital in 1982 or thereabouts, and secondly, I think, in 1985 in Robin's journal, Contemporary Drug Problems.

I have been intrigued for many years by the intermingling of alcoholism and work among creative types, with John Cheever's autobiographical material being particularly interesting.  A biography of the author Paul Scott describes what I would call intense normalization of what I believe proved to be a fatal pattern of alcohol consumption.  The New Deal era Senator from Nevada, Key Pittman, followed somewhat the same pattern but continued to perform.  Certainly these patterns occur in workplaces as well, but rarely if ever are they documented.

All of the citations are vague here because I am writing this away from my library.

Paul M. Roman
Research Professor and Center Director
Center for Research on Behavioral Health and Human Service Delivery
Institute for Behavioral Research
102 Barrow Hall, D. W. Brooks Drive
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602