ADHS Archives

August 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
mplatts <"[log in to unmask]"@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:25:17 -0700
To the eminent subscribers of the "list"
Does anyone know anything about Matthew Boulton (1728-1809), who was a
member of the 17th century Lunar Society, Birmingham England.
During my close research about the Lord's Observance Society, this name
was given to me. Why? That is what I intend to find out.
Apparently the Lunar Society represented the force of change in late
18th century England. They met for dinner once a month at a member's
house,  near the time of the full moon, hence their title,"Lunar
Society."
Interests were broad, but kept no records and none of their proceedings.
It did have strong influences from the Fellows of the Royal Society of
London, who in turn are responding to my requests for information on
alcoholic beverages and emigration to USA.during that period.

Birmingham, like Lords Day Observance Society, actually based themselves
in Birmingham, England.
There wwere two serious disagreements in this society, emanated from
there three medical members.
1. Withering and Eramus Darwin in 1780, on the use of Foxglove with no
mention of Withering. In 1783, the botanical society of Lichfield
criticised Withering's botanical works. Withering responded and became
clear that Darwin and himself were to be rivals. (Darwin resented
Withering's growing reputation). Unable to bury their differences, the
Lunar Society meetings were often upstaged by the two men. Today, we
call that "ego"
2. Dr. Johnathan Stokes, Physician, Botanist and Chemist, joined the
Lunar Society in 1783. Here Withering and Stokes tried to make a
financial agreement, with Withering paying a fixed amount for his
contribution to botany. Stokes felt this was not sufficient for the
profits or copyright. Such was the turmoil of disagreement,
reconcilation was out of the question. In January 1790, Withering
demanded the books he lent to Stokes be returned. Upon receiving the
books, they were damaged and beyond repair. This hostility deprived
Stokes of the continuing friendship of the Lunar Society
Witherings view to other members of this club can be seen in a letter
written by Dr. Ash,1790; which clearly states the growing apathy in the
society membership.
The Lunatics were liberal, supported abolition opf slavery, favored
constitutional reform with a reduced influence from the monachy. (That
is like asking Americans to give up guns). They supported the
Declaration of Independence of America, and Benjamin Franklin became a
member.
The French Revolution induced the decline of the Lunar Society, with Dr.
Priestly antagonizing the establishment in England with his
procrastinatination on the britherhood of man and the downfall of
tyranny and priestcraft. July 14th, 1791, a dinner held in Birmingham,
with James Keir in the chair.
A mob gathered outside the building where the Lunar Society was dining;
(I am working on what the wine list might have been), when they rioted:
"no philosophers, church and king forever" It lasted four days.
Priestley unitarian chapel, home, his personal library, laboratory,
which was strewn with twenty years of research destroyed. At least 14
other homes were ransacked, including Withering's wine cellar, where
they got so drunk, the soldiers upon arrival from Nottingham found
little or no resistance.
Papers suggested the Lunar Society was convinced a conspiarcy of some
sort existed which instigated the riot. Magistrates were accused of a
cover-up, until the riot effected other quarters of the community. This
led to a fast decline in Lunar Society membership, drove Priestley out
of Birmingham, (cannot blame him)and meetings did recommence on 24
September 1791, forn the next nine years. The war with France did
rekindle some nationalism in the society, despite the ever growing
problems of industrialising England that the society tried to solve.
Now! There is a new Lunar Society which is run by Sir Melville Arnott,
who is Clinical Professor of Cardiology in the University of Birmingham.
Its main objective is 'to bring together persons who can contribute
innovative and paractical ideas to shape the economy, culture and
economy, culture and enviroment.' (Aesculapius: July 1999)
There is no doubt in my mind the 'gang' who are 'parked' on this ATGH
list are quite capable of to 'rocking the Casbah' with influence and
suggestive conversation. My only question is: Who is First??