ADHS Archives

May 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin G W Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 05:43:21 +0200
Gretchen --
   There are lots of differences in drinking by ethnicity.  This is true botrh
between societies and for ethnicities within a multicultural society.
   The general rule for social class is that there are more abstainers among
poor people. Among those who do drink at all, poor drinkers tend to have higher
rates of drinking to intoxication.
   Among those who do drink to intoxication or drink a lot, the poor tend to
end up with more health or social trouble -- you might say they are less able
to insulate themseleves from the health and social effects.   are more likely
   Heavy drinking is moralized in most societies, and poor heavy drinkers are
often stigmatized and marginalized.  Marginalized heavy drinkers account for
more than their share of premature mortality.
   This is the short version, unreferenced.  I will send you off-list a long
paper, as yet unpublished, four of us wrote for WHO on this.
   On the epidemiology of drinking in Mexico, check for the names Maria-Elena
Medina Mora and Guillermo Borges.
      Cheers, Robin