ADHS Archives

January 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David M Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 16:08:06 -500
Scott Martin asked about the massive Black Temperance Collection at
the New York Public Library's Annex Building.  I used this collection
while researching my TEMPERANCE & RACISM book.  The collection was
assembled by James Black.  Shortly after it was bequeathed by him to
the National Temperance Society, it was transferred to the New York
Public Library (around 1918).  When I used the materials, they were
crumbling.  Generally when I requested an item, I was told that it
was not on the shelf.  After complaining/pleading to the supervisor,
he would go to find it, almost always successfully.  Recently much of
the collection has been microfilmed.  My university's interlibrary
loan department has been turned down when I have tried to borrow some
of this microfilm, so apparently the intention behind it is simply to
preserve fragile material.

David M. Fahey
History Department
Miami University