ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
gmarquis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:11:12 -0400
Hello:

Canadian members of the listserve, and those who have visited Canada, will
naturally think of the ubiquitous Tom Horton chain, named after the 'late' NHL player.
These outlets started in the 1970s, and they still seem to l be springing up on
surburban
corners, near highway exit ramps and on college campuses (our university recently
decided to allow an outlet on campus).

When a small community gets its 'Tims,' there is a swelling or pride almost like when
Wal-Mart comes to town.

Many Canadians plan their trips around Tim's-for example, a 400 km drive might involve
2-3 stops at different Tims, which seem to be strategically located.

The franchises are expensive-and lucrative. In my area it is rare for a single shop to
be owned by one person-people seem to own 2 or more.

In the 1970s, there was not much emphasis on takeout-customers drank their generic
coffee in ceramic mugs, and there was a lot of smoking on the premises (and smoky
doughnuts). This was still a period when many folks would stop at the local 'mom and
pop'
restauarant or diner for coffee and pie, etc. Many of these 'greasy spoons' are now
gone.
In certain Tom Horton's in the 1970s, I always suspected that many of the middle-aged
male customers, who smoked heavily and drank a lot of coffee, were recovering
alcoholics who were still used to the 'night life.'

In the 80s and 90s the chain proliferated, and added bagels, soups, sandwiches, etc.
Non-smoking sections were added, then they went smoke free (no more smoky doughnuts).
And then, as the 'drive through' culture was encouraged, the Tim's chain added drive
through windows. People will sit and burn lots of 95 cent a litre gas to buy a $1.15
'double-double' or 'triple-triple.' In some cases the early morning trade ties up major
urban
roads. Most business seems to be take-out (either walk-in or drive-by).

Tim's has exploited the 'Canadian identity' much like Molson's beer. It was spoofed in
Mike Myers' "Wayne's World" movies (he grew up in Scarborough, Ontario).

As far as I know, the overall company is now American owned.

This would make for a great sociological or anthropological study.

I'll be making my stop at 8:15 am tomorrow.

Greg Marquis