ADHS Archives

March 2009

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:08:07 -0500
It's an interesting and complex question, to which at first I had no
reply.  But reading these responses makes me think about bigger issues
relating to what is valued in our discipline.

I think especially about David's mention of history of medicine and
"bread-and-butter" courses.  (I know he wasn't saying necessarily that
Hist of M was bread and butter, but it makes me think about the rise
and fall of "sexy" fields of interest.)

In my (still relatively brief) career, I began doing history of
alcohol, moved into history of drugs, realized there was a connection
with history of medicine, mostly all out of my own interests, and then
found to my surprise and happiness, that the history of medicine was
an ascending field.  In Canada we had at the time a strong funder for
history of medicine projects and chairs, so that helped quite a bit.

Now, history of medicine is interesting.  It is not geographically
distinct, it incorporates economics, politics, social, cultural and
technological histories (as well, I'm sure, as others).  So it has
connections.

But, you observe, so does history of alcohol (and drugs).  What is the
difference?  Well, on the surface, I see no large, wealthy "alcohol
(or drug) profession" while there is a big and wealthy medical
profession.  Why does this matter?  As my friend and mentor Jackie
Duffin notes, "old docs" like to do their own histories.  So while you
may disparage "non-historians" histories, they do build interest in
what we do.  There is both an amateur and a professional interest in
this field.

On the other side, who likes to learn about the history of alcohol?
Well, the students think it's cool, and it takes some effort to inject
some scholarly levity into discussions of binge drinking and puking in
a university class.  So we, as you all know, have an image problem.

Nevertheless, there are some good intersections with health, an
ascendant field of inquiry, which means we can usually tap into that
audience for interest.  And in this time of budget cuts and justifying
everything we do, being able to show broader relevance and a broader
audience can be helpful.

Of course, for me this is all "in theory."  I carved out my current
position by offering history of medicine courses to a department of
Community Health Sciences.  After establishing the position, I
proposed and had accepted a history of alcohol, drugs and addiction
course, which had a whopping five students subscribed and not enough
actually to run the course (it was a spring term evening course, so
that may have further damned it).

So my suggestion?  Well, I concur with David Courtwright: emphasize
the interconnections with other fields and your ability to teach in
them.  But beyond that, building a critical mass of interested
colleagues and potential students can also be helpful.  Offering
yourself as a guest lecturer in your colleagues' (or potential
colleague') courses, to connect the richness of alcohol or drug
histories to their field can get their attention.  And they get a day
off from lecturing, which is usually appealing.

Oh, and get published.

Dan

Dan Malleck
Department of Community Health Sciences