ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Ingle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:50:19 -0400
Virginia Berridge's note on early meanings of 'addiction' quotes Falstaff in
Henry IV recommending 'addiction' to sherry. He certainly meant "make a
habit of..." rather than "become physiologically dependent upon..." I read
this while preparing a talk on the "Bacchanalian Tradition" in English
poetry and song, in which I further quote Falstaff's version of the common
belief that wine facilitates wit and imagination. In his mind,
'addiction' is a positive virtue:

 " A good sherris-sack hath a twofold operation in it. It ascends me to the
brain, dries me there all the foolish & dull & crudy vapors which envion it,
makes it apprehensive, quick, forgetive, full of firey & delectable shapes,
which delivered ošer to the voice - the tongue - becomes excellent wit. "

David Ingle,   Framingham, Massachusetts