ADHS Archives

October 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:18:13 -0500
The full text of Lincoln's address to the Washington Temperance
Society of Springfield, Illinois - delivered in 1842 on February 22
(Washington's birthday) - can be found in The Library of America
edition of his speeches (Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858. New York:
Library of America, 1989). The speech is also of interest for its
critique of prohibitionism. Lincoln advises the society to only
employ "persuasion." He criticizes those who would "dictate" or
"command" others to temperance, and calls denunciations of
dram-sellers "unjust" as well as "impolitic."