ADHS Archives

January 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jim baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:27:44 -0500
i haven't consulted the brewers almanac, which may well exhaust the
subject, but the question is not properly framed in terms of dry
"counties."  the first issue concerns the smallest level of government that
can prohibit alcohol sales in a given state.  in many states, if not most,
this would indeed be the county; but in massachusetts, for example, i
believe the town is the relevant jurisdiction.  thus, belmont, which sits
cheek by jowl with cambridge, is dry.  i think arlington is dry also.
early in the 20th c., some southern california cities were dry while the
surrounding counties of los angeles and orange were not (pasadena and
redlands, for instance).  jb