ADHS Archives

December 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"David M. Fahey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 18:55:23 -0500
When James Black died in 1893 his larger personal collection of temperance
literature went to the National Temperance Society.  Perhaps lacking the
room for the collection or perhaps wanting it to be more easily accessible,
the Society then gave it to the New York Public Library (in 1918, if my
memory serves me).  When I consulted the collection, I did so at the Annex
and by requesting individual items as collected in the huge printed catalog
of the NYPL.  By the way, this printed catalog can excite any reseacher
(for instance, pages of items under the heading of International Order of
Good Templars).  Unfortunately the catalog does not tell the prospective
reader which years of a serial are available.   Unfortunately too, the NYPL
online catalog does not include older materials but only acquisitions since
the publication of the hundreds of volumes of the printed catalog.