ADHS Archives

September 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Townend, Paul A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:28:07 -0400
I would (not terribly modestly) point you towards my book on Father
Mathew in Ireland, (Father Mathew, Temperance, Irish Identity, IAP,
2002)whose movement I think was inspirational for the Washingtonians...

I tried to address (and indeed orient the book around) just this
question.

The point about Mathew's movement is precisely that it was a (largely)
unanticipated bubbling up of anti-alcohol fervor from the bottom up...

You should certainly also look at John Quinn's work on the same
movement.