ADHS Archives

December 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Trippel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:17:06 -0600
In 1883 the National Temperance Society and Publication House printed
a paperback "Liquor Laws of the United States". It's a list of all
the different state's liquor laws and for those with license includes
the age restrictions. It appears the restriction was to
"minors" (most) or "18 years old" (NY, NJ). There are a few mentions
of parents/guardians allowing children to drink. I only checked some
of the states as it's dispersed within text. I don't know if it's a
reprint of H. Faxon's book of the same title, but his name isn't on
it anywhere.

Someone who might know or have run across such information is Elaine
Frantz Parsons, author of "Manhood Lost", 2003 - a book about women
exercising their rights via civil damage laws of the late 19th
century. As of April last, she was teaching at Duquesne University in
Pittsburg ( [log in to unmask] )