ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:36:51 -0800
David.  Yes!  (I'm already looking forward to Robin's edifying summary of
the cross-cultural literature.)  The subject of reasons was one of my
enduring interests.  One interesting tidbit is that "reasons for abstinence"
is more frequently a focus of concern than "reasons for drinking" -- anybody
care to venture why?...it's an interesting little fact.  Also, so-called
developing societies appear to be somewhat freer about indicating "to get
drunk" as a reason for drinking than are our norm-ridden, moderationist
developed societies -- another interesting x-cultural puzzle.  I remember
that Walt Clark at the Alcohol Research Group was surprised to find that
there was a great deal of normative similarity across cultures regarding the
drinking norms associated with different social situations.  Reasons is a
fascinating territory.

Ron