ADHS Archives

June 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:57:23 +1200
I am currently writing about prohibition order legislation in New Zealand,
which was introduced in 1881, whereby an order could be taken out (through
the local magistrate) against any person who "...by excessive drinking of
liquor, misspends, wastes or lessens his or her estate, or greatly injures
his or her health, or endangers or interrupts the peace and happiness of
his or her family..."  The order banned the person under the order from
purchasing or obtaining in any other way, liquor within specified
geographical boundaries for a year.[Licensing Act 1881, sec.167]  Renewal
was possible, and frequently used.

Using court records from the Central Otago goldfields (South Island, NZ), I
have found that only women with family support and a possibility of reform
were granted orders.  Alcoholic prostitutes, for example, were not placed
under prohibition orders, but merely tried for public drunkenness several
times a year.

I am hoping that list members could help me with information on what other
countries also had prohibition orders, and any context, or reading
suggestions.

Thanks,
Sandra Quick,
History,