ADHS Archives

February 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:18:22 -0600
Forwarded with permission.  Ron

---- Begin Forwarded Message

Greetings from Memphis!

My great grandfather, George A. Stauffer, was a close personal and political
friend of Frank WIllis and Warren Harding, and was a vital force in Northwest
Ohio and the push toward Prohibition. As such, when Harding became President,
Grandfather became U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio. In that
position he was able to watch first-hand the results of Halstead et al, and,
over time, changed his position from Prohibition to pro-personal
choice/anti-government involvement.

I have collected all his known extant personal papers, including speeches,
political and personal letters, newpaper articles from his scrapbooks, etc.
They offer an astonishing framework to that era and its people, including
information on behind-the-scenes politics and campiagn styles and deals, and
insight into the people who shaped the time. They also show the slow, arduous
and at times painful struggle to come to grips with the realities of the law
and jurisprudence, and outline personal changes in viewpoint as it occured,
in his own words and those of the people around him.

I was a history major at Northwestern University (considering graduate work
in history as well), and am working on writing his story. I was thrilled to
find this web site at OSU, and was wondering what additional online resources
you know that may be relevant to my search? I am also curious as to the
possibilities of assitantships in history at OSU and would be delighted if
you could point me in the right direction on that subject as well.

I am willing to share materials - however, they amount to over five shelf
feet of sorted documents and several more boxes of materials that are in an
ongoing evaluative state. I come to Ohio several times a year to do research
and visit family (I grew up in Findlay), and will be in Columbus next month -
March 19-20. I would love to get together if you think such a meeting might
be mutually beneficial.

Please e-mail me with your thoughts on the subject. I look forward to hearing
from you.

Sincerely,
Laura Wilson-Perry

--