ADHS Archives

February 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:41:36 -0800
Dear ATHG,

 I have a temperance medal circa 1800's that has words on
 the obverse, "How sweet from the green mossy brim..."
 which, I am told by a leading collector of temperance medals,
 refers to an old temperance song called, "The Old Oaken
 Bucket" which refers to the admonition of most temperance
 societies that water is the pure preferred beverage.  There
 are initials on the reverse side of the medal, "A. W. R."
 and this is the mystery that collectors are wondering about.

 Does "A. W. R." jump out at you as having any significant
 meaning?  Research has not produced a name of anyone
 with those initials so maybe it stands for a common phrase
 or saying of the time?

Please reply to me at:
if you have any ideas or need more info about the medal.

Thanks!
John

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]