ADHS Archives

February 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 05:51:12 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Nancy --
>      Maybe the distinction I am remembering was in a later Alcohol and
Health
> -- no. 3?? (which I don't have here.)  Incidentally, I looked at the 4th
and
> 5th, and at that time NIAAA bought in surprisingly much to the kind of "it
> depends what you mean, there's no single figure" line which us
> epidemiological sociologists were comfortable with.  Robin

Robin, I've taken a look at the third report which says:

"There are an estimated 9.3 to 10 million problem drinkers (including
alcoholics) in the adult population -- 7 percent of the 145 million adults
(18 and over). ... In addition to adult problem drinkers, there are an
estimated 3.3 million problem drinkers among youth in the 14 to 17 age range
-- 19 percent of the 17 million persons in this age group.  (Youth problem
drinking is defined differently than for adults because youth problems tend
to be acute rather than chronic.)"

I still don't find the distinction.

(It was interesting glancing again through the third report.  It is the one
which created so much hostility from not only the industry but from the
alcoholism organizations as well, and ended with Ernie Noble being fired.)

Nancy