ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:36:15 EST
You already know that I am trying  to get this listserv group started and that
I teach a senior seminar on drink and temperance in English-speaking countries
(history department, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056-1618, USA).  I have
been interested in temperance and drink history since the late 1960s.  In the
1970s and 1980s I published several articles on late Victorian/Edwardian Eng-
land (and have a related semi-completed book manuscript in a file drawer).  I
then got obsessed with the Good Templar international fraternal temperance so-
ciety and published an edition of the writings of a woman Templar named Jessie
Forsyth in 1988.  Increasingly my interest was as much in fraternalism as in
drink   and largely connected with racial attitudes and behavior.  Recently I
     completed a working draft (needs pruning and sharper focus) of a book ten-
tatively entitled JOHN BULL, JOHNNY REB, AND RACISM: THE GOOD TEMPLARS AFTER
THE CIVIL WAR.
  David Fahey (Miami Univ.) [log in to unmask]