ADHS Archives

December 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:50:22 -0500
Yes, the University of Wisconsin's Hayler collection of temperance
tracts have been microfilmed.  In fact, Miami Univeristy (Ohio) has
the microfilm version which I assume that you can borrow to read at
Aberdeen.  Yes, too, the James Black temperance
collection at the New York Public Library has its problems.  When I
worked there (at the Annex building, so no lions at the gate) the
publications (mostly pamphlet sized) were crumbling.  Moreover, most
of the time the "runners" said that they couldn't find what I
requested.  So, I had to complain to the supervisor who eventually
found the items.  More recently, much--maybe all--of the Black
temperance collection has been microfilmed.  I don't think that the
microfilm can be borrowed via interlibrary loan.