ADHS Archives

June 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WWW User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 20:44:20 -0500
While clearly refusal of liquor to blacks and Indians are part of this
privileging of alcohol, it is not that simple in the colonial period.
Especially in the South but throughout the North as well, indentured servants
were refused access to alcohol.  This also included youth and often women
except in a familial context.  Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum speak of the
unlicensed taverns on the edge of Salem Village which attracted "outsiders,"
youth, indentured servants, and slaves and served as a focal point for the
turmoil that would erupt into the witchcraft panic.

On another point many African-Americans chose not to drink.  Frederick Douglass
in his Narrative explained that slaves would be given as much drink as they
wanted on holidays so they would think that this was all freedom was.  Douglass
said that he refused to be sucked into this.  From his perspective alcohol was
associated with whiteness and to be avoided because of its inferiority.

Mark C. Smith
American Studies and History
University of Texas