ADHS Archives

May 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 1995 19:52:46 EST
I seldom read the NEW YORKER except in a doctor's or dentist's office.  In such
a location I looked at the 20 March number.  There was an article by Andrew and
Thomas Delbanco, "Annals of Addiction: A.A. at the Crossroad," occasioned by
the nearing 60th anniversary of Alcoholics Anonymous.  The Delbancos emphasize
the problem of shifting American values (re religion, helping others, etc.)
and the changing demographics of the organization (now more than a third female
and about 20% under age 30).  There is a brief member of the rival organization
Rational Recovery, founded in 1986

David Fahey (Miami Univ.) [log in to unmask]