ADHS Archives

May 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:48:55 -0500
For those ATHG subscribers interested in the theory behind the choice
to drink and what.

Date:          Thu, 20 May 1999 21:04:07 -0400
From:          Stanton Peele <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:       Re: type of alcoholic beverage and CHD abstract
To:            [log in to unmask]

At Kettil Bruun, the Tuesday plenary is a panel on addiction, involving Louise
Nadeau, Ole-Joergen Skog and myself.  Ole will be presenting a similar
"rational" addiction model.  I actually believe that so-called rational models
include vast unexamined adoptions from straightforward physiological addiction
theories -- as in, you take a drug for certain purposes, then become addicted
and all bets are off.  I believe (Robin: avert your glance; radical
construcivism to follow) that values influence every facet of the addiction
process, including interpretations of withdrawal and craving.

SP