ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:16:46 -0500
One doesn't have to be a cultural anthropologist to view alcohol as a normal
part of society.  Having grown up in a hard-drinking part of upstate New York,
attended college at big-partying liberal arts school, and pursued graduate work
at UNC-Chapel Hill, I was not even aware that alcohol could be considered a
"foreign and pernicious agent" until I began studying the temperance movement
as part of my research on 19th century popular culture.  Now that I'm teaching
at a university where the campus parties start on Wednesday and continue
through Friday when students go home for the weekend, I have severe doubts that
I am the only one who thinks this way.

Since learning about temperance movements, it has always struck me that
temperance organizations are much more marginal to the dominant forms of
self-understanding in societies like the U. S. than alcohol.  Speculating for a
moment, part of this marginality might be because temperance organizations like
the Washingtonian societies were seeking to convince mainstream culture that
something that most people perceived as "normal" and "good" was actually
strange and dangerous.  In lit crit language, temperance organizations often
seek to convince people that something they viewed as "self" was actually
"other."