ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Richard F. Hamm" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 18:04:11 -0500
Richard F. Hamm
University at Albany -- SUNY

Perhaps of some use on this topic, depending on how far the student wishes
to go back, is the ambivalent relationship of the temperance movement to
baseball from the very beginning.  I know from reading the Union Signal,
the WCTU's official paper in the 1880s and 1890s that the white ribboners
decried Sunday games, brewery ownership, and the sale of beer at games.
But by the twentieth century, the ASL's paper was carrying box scores and
news of pennant races on its cover.  Can't remember if it is National or
American League.  I can dig up the cites if this is important.

Richard F. Hamm
History Department
Ten Broeck 105
University at Albany, Suny