ADHS Archives

September 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Meg Smitley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:59:34 +0100
Dear Jon,
I agree with earlier contributors that the speech is likely British
because of the use of 'women's suffrage'.  As for dinner toasting, this
was a prominent feature of male associational life in Britain.  Public
and private dinners among the British middle classes had alcohol as a
central feature, and for instance in /Public Lives /Gordon and Nair//
show the impressive amount of alcohol mentioned in 19th-century wills.
One of Glasgow's Lord Provosts (mayors), I think that it was Sir William
Collins in 1877 to 1880, banned alcohol at public dinners.  Articles in
the Scottish Temperance League's various journals referred to the
'custom' of toasting at public and private dinners.  These are some
examples from Scotland off the top of my head, let me know if you would
like more concrete specifics.  I suspect that Lambert (/Drink and
Sobriety in Victorian Wales/) and Harrison (/Drink and the Victorians/)
will have more specific examples, and in any case are a good starting
point for discussions of drinking in Britain.
Best,
Meg