ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Sarah W. Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:05:50 -0500
Dear David et al.,

Now that John Crowley has recommended the UMass volume, let me helpfully
(and shamelessly) provide the title:

Sarah W. Tracy and Caroline Jean Acker, ALTERING AMERICAN CONSCIOUSNESS --
THE HISTORY OF ALCOHOL AND DRUG USE IN THE UNITED STATES, 1800-2000,
University of Massachusetts Press, 2004.

It's a wide ranging volume of essays that cover both alcohol and drugs;
also provided is a historiographic introduction and bibliography for
further reading. Caroline and I designed it with course use in mind. David
Courtwright's book, FORCES OF HABIT has worked very well with my
upper-level undergraduates. I also recommend Lori Rotskoff's LOVE ON THE
ROCKS, and Estelle Parsons' MANHOOD LOST. I've used Caroline Knapp's
DRINKING A LOVE STORY and Augusten Burroughs' DRY -- A MEMOIR as well with
great responses from students.

Best,
Sarah Tracy

*********************
Sarah Tracy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, History of Medicine
Director, Medical Humanities Program
Honors College and College of Medicine
University of Oklahoma
1300 Asp Avenue