ADHS Archives

May 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:14:41 EDT
From: Rod Phillips, History, Carleton University, Ottawa
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

I'm chairing the steering committee of an international conference on wine
that will be held at Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario (Canada),
May 23-25, 2002.  This is in the heart of Ontario's Niagara Peninsula wine
region and close to Niagara Falls.

The conference, called "Bacchus to the Future" (pun intended), will be
broad-based and focus on three main themes:

Science and technology
Business, marketing, tourism
Culture (which includes wine education, consumption patterns, and history)

I would be happy to have expressions of interest from anyone interested in
giving a paper. The audience will be very mixed (academics, wine writers,
industry professionals, wine educators, lay wine enthusiasts) and
my sense is that broad-based papers would be preferable to closely-argued
analyses of very specific issues.  A paper that explored long-term changes in
wine consumption patterns, for example, would be of interest to a wide
audience.

But please feel free to run ideas by me.  I'll be coordinating the program
for the "Culture" stream.

The program will include papers, discussions, exhibitions, and tastings
and related activities will include winery tours, tastings and winemakers'
dinners.  I'm very impressed by the quality of much of the wine from this
region, by the way!

The conference web site is: bacchustothefuture.com

Please feel free to direct any questions to me.

Cheers,

Rod..

Roderick Phillips
Director, Research Institute for the Culture and History of Food and Drink
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]