ADHS Archives

September 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Melissa Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:13:37 +0930
I've only recently come across references to the so-called triangular trade
(rum, slaves, sugar, traded between England, West Africa, the Americas) in
the early(?) nineteenth century (and late eighteenth?).

I'd like to know more about this (I've only seen it mentioned in passing).
Can anyone suggest a few good papers or books to read? Plus I'd welcome
anyone's thoughts/ideas - I'm particularly interested in the significance of
alcohol as a tool of imperial expansion/colonisation, and links between
commercial interests and international politics, but I'm also intrigued by
the symbolic significance of links between slavery and alcohol. Also, until
recently I'd always thought of sugar as a fairly ordinary commodity, but
I've heard a bit lately about the use of Torres Strait Islanders as slave
labour in the sugar-fields of north Queensland (Australia), and the notion
of the triangular trade suggests that there's a lot more to it than I'm
aware of.

Thanks
Melissa
Melissa Raven, Lecturer, Addiction Studies Coordinator
National Centre for Education & Training on Addiction
NCETA, Level 3B, Science Park Adelaide, BEDFORD PARK  SA  5042, AUSTRALIA
Phone 61 8 2017557  Fax 61 8 201 7550