ADHS Archives

September 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:18:25 -0400
It was slang when I worked foodservice jobs in a college town on the
east coast in the late 1980s. It indicated a good or appropriate time
to smoke marijuana on any given day. If one had been sober that long,
one had presumably worked a full day and discharged one's work or
school duties industriously.

When bartending in Iowa City, I had a few regulars who would not
drink until 5pm. If they got off work early, they might sit nervously
for fifteen or twenty minutes. They thought they were drinking
responsibly. They were above reproach; they had no problem with
alcohol consumption because they waited, every day, until 5pm for the
first drink. One person waited not for 5pm but for Tom Brokaw to
appear on the television.

As for "420," I most often heard the term in the expression, "It's
4:20 somewhere."

Jon

--
Jon Miller, Asst. Prof. of English, Dept. of English, Univ. of Akron,
Akron, OH 44326-1906. office and voice mail, 1-330-972-5717.