ADHS Archives

December 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:28:00 -0500
based on my reading of early san francisco newspapers and california
temperance periodicals, i agree wholeheartedly with jon.  in fact,
police disinterest in such things led to well-known attempts by private
vice societies to enforce selective prohibitions on alcohol purchases
and the violation of prescription laws. anyway, jack london's
recollection that his first taste for beer came from the buckets he
brought home for his parents rings true for me.

jim baumohl