ADHS Archives

May 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Harry Avis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 06:27:34 -0700
Although my profession is psychology, I am an erstwhile actor. I have been
asked to give an address to a conference as John Gough, the temperance
speaker. I have some brief descriptions of his life, and a collection of his
speeches. I also have some reports of his style. Since the presentation is
coming up quickly I don't have time for a literature search. Does anyone
have any interesting anecdotes, tidbits, or good stories about Gough, his
style of dress, his oratorical flourishes, etc? I have a little knowledge of
acting and lecturing styles in those days, and have played many roles as the
villain in various melodramas, but I am looking for any general or specific
comments to aid me in my preparation for this role. If you think it will
burden cyberspace with a reply to ATHG, please email me privately. I am not
trained in the Method, but anything I know about him no matter how trivial
helps me. Did he carry a cane, use a handkerchief, have a particular
mannerism? Was his voice high, low, well, you get the idea. No detail is too
small, no observation too broad. Thank you.
Harry Avis Ph.D.
Sierra College
Rocklin, CA 95677

It takes a lot of courage to become the person you grew up to be
If we live long enough, death comes to us all