AIAADBF Archives

February 2004

AIAADBF@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kyle Riddle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AIAA Student Design/Build/Fly Competition Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:23:13 GMT
Team-

I have everything lined up to order 16 feet of .55 inch diameter carbon
fiber rods for the wings.  This will cost us about $150.  Also, I have
things lined up to order 8 feet of lexan (polycarbonate) tubing 1/8"
thick with a 4" diameter.  I couldn't find tubing in less an 8' length.
It might not be a bad idea to have some extta in case we mess up on the
first try.  The lexan tube will cost us about $150 also.

Next, for the carbon fiber rod in the back of the fuselage connecting to
the tail... we can get .75" diameter carbon fiber for $17/ft or 1"
diameter carbon fiber for $40/ft.  Do we need a full 1" diameter for this
part?  Or will .75" work?  What do you think?  Tom- any suggestions.  We
need about 3 feet of it.

Let me know if you "concur" with the .55" tubes for the wings and the
lexan tubing choice.  Also, what size carbon fiber should we buy for the
fuselage?  Let me know asap.  Thanks.

Kyle