AIMSALL Archives

March 2011

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:25:54 -0500
Just a quick reminder about the Games+Learning+Society 7.0 conference,
meeting in the political hotbed of Madison, WI this summer.  I sent
out the CFP a while back, but here's more info for submissions, due
this coming Monday:

http://glsconference.org/2011/submissions.html

You might note that the conference proposal deadline has been extended
a week, due to the craziness of what's going on in Madison right now
(and the role that many organizers for the conference have had in it;
some have been camped out at the Capitol for the past few weeks).  I
also wanted to alert you to a significant addition to the CFP that
must have been added since I last emailed the list about this
conference:

"Game-Related Artwork or Installation (NEW!): Beginning this year, the
GLS conference will host a curated art exhibit in our on-site
dedicated gallery. We welcome your creative works that in any way
resemble, incorporate, or are inspired by game characters, themes or
motifs, or are entirely newly-imagined game-like forms. Original
playable games, creative works that blur the line between art objects
and games, interactive art installation (as it relates to game play
and game design), art objects that explore the form of games or forms
from games as well as their conceptual, intellectual, social, and
psychological implications of games, and art that challenges the very
idea of static art objects in the age of instant and ubiquitous
interactivity are welcome. Works can be two-dimensional,
three-dimensional, digital, or performed. Please submit a brief
description of your work and related images or digital materials for
consideration. Include in the description how the work would be
displayed and what technical considerations for display will be
required. Shipping arrangements will be made directly with the
artist."

It's spring break, obviously, but if you know of any student work or
if you're interested in exhibiting your own work, I'm almost certain
that you'll have a good chance of getting something in.  This is a new
direction for GLS, one that I personally am excited for, and one that
might mesh well with the digital design emphases of many folks in
AIMS.

If you have any questions about the proposal process, I'd be happy to
talk to whomever is interested -- I've been involved with this crew
for the past 4 years, and it's a premiere venue for those interested
in games, "new media" and learning.  It's a great community, and one
that I'd love to see AIMS collectively have a presence at!

Best,

--sean

Sean C. Duncan
   Armstrong Professor of Interactive Media Studies
   Assistant Professor, School of Education, Health, and Society &
   Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
   Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
   [log in to unmask] / se4n.org