AIMSALL Archives

April 2012

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 07:13:57 -0400
Hi all,

This spring break, eight Miami students prepared for and then attended
the Game Developers Conference, a yearly event in San Francisco that
this year topped 22,500 attendees. GDC is one of the premier
professional interactive media experiences we can provide AIMS
students, and the students who attended GDC this year would love to
share what they learned from the week in San Francisco over spring
break. I very much hope that AIMS faculty and staff will be able to
attend!

On a personal note, I'm leaving Miami in a few months, and helping to
foster these kinds of professional experiences for our students is
something I very, very strongly hope continues well into the future. I
would absolutely love to see increased institutional support for
sending students to GDC in particular, and the students who attended
GDC this year have already begun to creatively plan for future GDCs.
As an educational experience as well as one in which students made
concrete professional contacts, it's really unparalleled. Let's
provide moral support for these students who attended GDC out of their
own pockets this year, and see what we can do to help them continue in
future years! So, please, please attend! The meeting should last
around an hour, and I'll provide light refreshments.

I'm attaching a blurb below -- feel free to copy and paste it to
whatever social networks you'd like to send it off to. I'm also
attaching a PDF flyer that I'm putting up in Benton, Laws, and King in
the next day. Feel free to print out and put up wherever you think
students and interested faculty, staff, and administrators might see
it!

Best,

--sean

A Conversation About Game Development - Tuesday, April 10th at 7pm (27
King Library/MU Gaming Lab)

The Game Developers Conference is the world's largest professional
meeting for game designers, game developers, game journalists, and
other careers in this industry, with over 22,000 attendees
congregating in San Francisco for 2012's conference. On Tuesday, April
10th at 7pm, we'll be hosting a roundtable discussion about the Game
Developers Conference with a collection of Miami students who attended
the event in San Francisco this year. Student experiences learning
about game development and networking with potential employers will be
discussed, along with the entrepreneurial experiences of Miami
students attempting to break into this exciting industry. Students
will discuss game prototypes they developed to show at GDC, the
professional contacts and job opportunities they learned about, as
well as their take on being immersed in the world of professional game
development.

If you're a Miami student interested in the world of game development,
please consider attending and finding out about student-driven efforts
to attend the conference. If you're a Miami faculty, staff, or
administrator, pleae consider attending to help Miami become a regular
presence at GDC in the future! Light refreshments will be provided.

 Assistant Professor, School of Ed., Health, and Society +
 Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
 Miami University [Through June, 2012]

 Assistant Professor, Learning Sciences Program
 Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology
 Indiana University [Starting August, 2012]

 [log in to unmask]  /  se4n.org  /  @scd