AIMSALL Archives

January 2010

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Hodgson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Hodgson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:01:16 -0500
Hi all -
     Today we installed several new pieces of equipment as part of the
Smale Interactive Visualization Center.  There is now an EON Ibox system
in FSB 2040, which is essentially a large 3D monitor with
passive-stereoscopic glasses (similar to what you would wear in a
theater) and a high-powered graphics workstation.  We also acquired a
portable 3D projection system.  This is similar (in concept, not size)
to the large 3D projector in FSB 2040, but uses cheap polarized glasses
(that can be used / broken / lost / stolen in a classroom setting).
This portable system comes with three specialized silver screens that
preserve the light polarization from the projectors (a normal "white"
projector screen will not work).  The first is a large,
permanently-mounted screen that has been installed in the back of 27
King.  You may have noticed the recent disappearance of all the broken
furniture from that room... this is what's replacing it.  Given that we
use this lab for 3D modeling and animation, it seemed fitting to be able
to be able to view the 3D content in all its glory.  If you are teaching
in this room, please take care of the screen and encourage your students
to do likewise.  It is sensitive to touch and likely will not respond
well to furniture being pushed up against it.  For those of you not
teaching in 27 King, the remaining two screens are portable -- a
traditional tripod screen for classroom use, and a smaller table-top
screen for small groups or conference presentations / exhibits / etc.

Feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.  And yes, I intend
on having an open house / demo day for IMS faculty and other interested
parties.  We're still taking the shrink wrap of of everything, though,
so it may be a few weeks coming.

Regards,
     -Eric

Eric Hodgson, PhD
Psychology&  Interactive Media Studies
Director, Smale Interactive Visualization Center
Miami University
www.users.muohio.edu/hodgsoep
Phone: 513.593.9804