AIMSALL Archives

September 2010

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:30:42 -0400
Hey all,

The Cooney Center announced an exciting new contest recently:

http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/Initiatives-31.html

The National STEM Video Game Challenge -- "The Developer Prize
challenges emerging and experienced game developers to design mobile
games, including games for the mobile web, for young children (grades
pre-K through 4) that teach key STEM concepts and foster an interest
in STEM subject areas."  There's also a youth prize for games designed
by kids grades 5-8.

Games are due before January 5th, 2011, and now that this carrot is
out there, I'm going to push my IMS225 (Games & Learning) class to get
workable prototypes that could be submitted for this.  I wanted to
bring it to everyone's attention, however, if you happened to know of
any current students who might be interested or student projects from
earlier semesters that might apply (or could work if tweaked over the
course of this semester).  With a $25,000 prize for the best
undergraduate submission, this could be wonderful for our students,
plus a nice feather in the AIMS cap.

Looks to be pretty cool, and I'd love to talk with anyone further if
anyone wants to move ahead with an idea and I could be of any
assistance...

--sean

Sean C. Duncan
   Armstrong Professor of Interactive Media Studies
   Assistant Professor, School of Education, Health, and Society &
   Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
   Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
   [log in to unmask] / se4n.org