AIMSALL Archives

September 2011

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Faimon, Peg" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faimon, Peg
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:17:34 -0400
AIMS faculty:
Melissa Schultz has been working on an E-book project with a grant from AIMS
and the support of Mike Armstrong. She is seeking someone to assist her with
implementation of the project goals. (see below)
Do any of you know someone with these technical skills, either at Miami or
for outside hire?
Thanks for any help or advice,
Peg

Goals for e-Book Project

1. Create a digital assessment of a running record that calculates errors
and self-corrections
2. Create an e-Book with an embedded running record which calculates errors
and self-corrections as the child reads the e-Book aloud  using voice
recognition software

We (Tom Luo, Gail Campbell and I) have made little progress toward either
goal. The digital assessment of a running record has been created but it
can't calculate errors or self-corrections so it isn't any more beneficial
than a paper/pencil version.

Teachers and principals can benefit from a digital running record.

I have collected a bank of potential errors and self-corrections for the two
e-Books I wrote with IRB approval at an elementary school.  I conducted
reading records and video recorded 1st grade students reading the two
e-Books. This will be useful for the voice recognition aspect of the
project.

Questions for Peg:

1. Can I hire someone with the AIMS mini grant to work on these goals?

Melissa Schulz, Ph.D
Miami University
Associate Professor
Teacher Education