AIMSALL Archives

April 2011

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:02:24 -0400
I think it's possible to plug Miami in the hashtag, but since this
thing has got a life of it's own, shaping it any further seems really
out of our control now.  And may be dying down, there's less activity
on it this morning so far, but perhaps US devs haven't woken up yet on
the West Coast.

There is a weird issue of branding here -- other people are now using
the characters "IMS211" to mean something that's pretty much
completely divorced from Miami or even my class.  Speaking of which, I
don't think I mentioned http://ims211.com in my previous emails -- a
developer somewhere in Idaho, I think, set it up?  I suppose we could
look at all of this as problematic, but I'm not sure it's worth the
effort to, as it's really out of our hands.  The more we try to rein
in that discussion or overtly turn it into a promo thing for our
program, I fear, the more it will tick off people who got excited
about it.  Glenn might have some opinions on this, as he's teaching
about similar issues in social media marketing this semester...

As this has stretched on the last two days, I'm starting to feel that
this hashtag business should just be a call for all of us to be much
more active within social media spaces like Twitter, simply because
you never know when something you do will accidentally "hit" like
this.  It's less about using Twitter as a "tool" -- frankly, I think
it's terrible as a PR pushing device, and never follow folks who use
it this way.  The best way to use Twitter and gain a bunch of
followers, in my opinion, is through actively engaging with the
communities of folks who are using it daily.  Think of it as a very
public instant messenger rather than microblogging.  That's really why
I think this hashtag took off, because it provided an easy and quick
venue for people to connect with one another and start conversations.

Hopefully we get some collateral benefits from this, but at the very
least, it's bringing some attention to our courses.  :-)

--sean

Sean C. Duncan
   Armstrong Professor of Interactive Media Studies
   Assistant Professor, School of Education, Health, and Society &
   Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
   Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
   [log in to unmask] / se4n.org