ALAS Archives

October 2006

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mary Jane Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Jane Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:48:00 -0400
YOU ARE INVITED TO AN EVENT CONCERNING THE PRESERVATION OF AFFIRMATIVE
ACTION

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24
7:00pm
Pearson Hall, Room 128

Affirmative Action is being questioned nation-wide and has been
eradicated in California, Florida, Texas and Washington. Since its
passage, minority college-enrollment has dropped significantly in
some of these states. The legislation is currently under attack in
Michigan.

A message from Ravone Littlejohn, President, Miami University Unit,
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP):
"After attending the DAC meeting last night and meeting a few of you,
I think this could be our first public display of unity and
cohesiveness. Furthermore it would serve as a monumental step toward
eliminating the negative stigma of the NAACP being an organization
for African-Americans, a perception we are trying to change here on
campus."

If you would like to sit on the panel for this event, please contact
Ravone Littlejohn at [log in to unmask]

Attached is more information concerning affirmative action.
The program will not be bias; those opposing affirmative action are
welcome to share their views and comments as well.

Eloiza Domingo-Snyder
Director, Office of Diverse Student Development
Home of the Center for Black Culture & Learning
Future Home of the Barahona Latino Resource Room & the Asian American
Resource Room
Warfield 17B
Miami University; Oxford, OH
(513) 529-6504; fax (513) 529-3445