ALAS Archives

February 2007

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:25:15 -0500
ALAS,

 Please let me know if you are interested in this great opportunity.

CC Suarez
Academic Advisor
Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.
Miami University
Subject: [NASPA-LKC] MAOP Summer Research Internship
From:    "Fernandez-Weston, Cathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Tue, February 13, 2007 7:42 am
To:      [log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to you.  My name
is Cathy Fernandez-Weston and I am the new Assistant Director for the
Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP) at Virginia Tech.  We
are preparing for our 15th Annual Summer Research Internship Program and I
seek your help in identifying students from your
University who would be interested in applying.

Each year the MAOP office opens its doors to a diverse group of students
from a variety of schools and disciplines. A few of those disciplines
include science, agriculture, natural resources, veterinary medicine,
public policy, architecture. Our program has been an especially
effective way to invest in preparing a talented group of diverse
students for eventual enrollment in graduate studies. Former interns have
been very successful in obtaining graduate degrees and adding to the
diversity of their institutions and their professional fields.

The MAOP Summer Research Internship Program is a ten-week program which
allows students to gain hands-on experience in their chosen career field.
Guided by a faculty mentor, students plan and conduct research projects,
attend seminars, and prepare for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
Participants will also attend an exploratory retreat as well as other
academic enrichment activities. The internship concludes with interns
presenting their research projects to mentors, visitors and fellow
interns. Interns can be provided with up to a $2,500 stipend plus room and
board. The internship will take place from May 27, 2007 to August 3, 2007.

Once again I seek your support in identifying students who may have an
interest in our summer research internship program. Applications are
currently on line at www.maop.vt.edu <http://www.maop.vt.edu/>
(reference the Summer Internship link) and the deadline for applications
is March 1st.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. We hope
that your students see a viable opportunity in our program.

Sincerely,

Cathy Fernandez-Weston

Assistant Director, MAOP

110 Femoyer Hall (0276)

Blacksburg, VA 24060

(540) 231-5023

Cecilia "CC" Suarez
Miami University
Office of Residence Life
Assistant Academic Adviser
513-529-3763 (office)

"Let us not be content to wait and see what happens, but give us the
determination to make the right things happen." ~~P. Marshall

For information and upcomming events please visit www.muohio.edu/alas